Mental Health is Important. How to Find the Best Counsellor.
Updated: May 16
Counselling for mental health is important. Take a look at this blog on how to find the best counsellor for you.
Its really easy to find a counsellor. Just look online and there are directories full of us. How do you find the best counsellor for you? Here are a few tips that might help
· Make sure they are qualified! The scary fact is that anyone can say they are a therapist or a counsellor. If you find a therapist on an online directory they will be properly qualified and a member of a professional body. A good therapist won’t be offended if you ask!
· A good therapist should listen Sounds obvious right, but this is really important. They shouldn’t talk down to you. They should value what you say and show empathy and understanding.
· Trust This is a bit tricky to start with. How do you know you can trust someone when you have only just met them? Do they seem genuine to you? Go with your gut. Can you imagine feeling comfortable with them in the future?
· Respectful Your therapist should be respectful of you and your feelings. They should absolutely be non-judgemental.
· Have they done their own therapy?
I think this is very important. A good therapist knows what it feels like to be the client. They know how scary it can be to walk through that door and be prepared to look at things that are difficult or painful. Undergoing our own therapy is one way we learn how to help others.
· Do they make promises or guarantees?
Therapists should provide hope but not unconditional guarantees. There are no magic wands in therapy, and it is not a quick fix. Anxiety and depression for instance can take time to unravel
Research show that the main thing that brings about healing is the relationship between the therapist and the client. Counselling for mental health is a unique journey and needs to be taken with someone you trust.
So find qualified person you think you can talk to. Someone who wont judge or tell you what to do. Remember you are in charge. If this is the wrong therapist for you then you can just walk away.
If you would like to talk to me about counselling just click the button and fill in the contact form.
Image by Youssef Naddam - Unsplash